Monday, May 26, 2008

Task Two – E-commerce strategy and global EC - Topic Eight

Task Two – E-commerce strategy and global EC - Topic Eight

Planning is such an integral part of business today. As Porter states ‘many have assumed the internet changes everything’ where many of the dot.com collapses proved this to be incorrect. I found Porter’s article very informative and I agree with his ideas that businesses need to incorporate ecommerce into their business planning. I also agree that businesses need to use the Internet to compliment their business strategies rather than cannibalise their market share. Having a web presence is also most essential now days.

Global e-commerce sounds like the ideal way to conduct business, one of the major benefits being able to conduct business 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. However before studying this topic I had little understanding of the limitations placed on businesses when trying to perform business internationally. I had only really considered the geographical limitations and hadn’t even considered the difficulty with cultural, language and economic issues.

Although businesses such as Amazon seem to make global e-commerce seem easy. I have purchased books from Amazon and have found the entire process very positive. I feel some of their success must lie in the way their make the purchaser feel confident and secure throughout the entire ordering and delivery process. It is amazing how a little email here and there can make you feel secure in your purchase! Another thing that I feel is very important when purchasing from overseas is feeling as though you have some rights if the item you order isn’t correct, and I know Amazon let you return any items if you are not satisfied with them.

One thing that I know is a barrier but I do however still find it frustrating is the inability for some overseas companies to ship to Australia. I guess when you can access their sites, you feel like you should be able to purchase from them - It is a bit like going into a shop and finding the shop assistant won’t serve you! I realise this may not be cost effective for the companies, but with the Australian dollar being so strong it is now the perfect time to purchase online from overseas companies, especially those based in America!

No comments: